THE HONEST TOUN’S ASSOCIATION,
CONSTITUTION AND RULES
1. The Association shall be called “The Honest Toun’s Association”
2. To celebrate a ride-out and festival and to carry out sports and ceremonies as may be arranged by the executive committee. The festival will conclude on the last Saturday in July and commence on the previous Sunday, annually.
3. To appoint an Honest Lad and Honest Lass yearly, also attendants upon the Honest Lad and Honest Lass.
4. To foster local patriotism and good citizenship and to uphold and carry out the ancient and honourable traditions of the Honest Toun.
5. Any person born, resident employed or having resided for at least five years within the communities of Musselburgh, Inveresk, Wallyford or Whitecraig.
6. The annual subscription shall be payable in April. Payment shall imply that members agree to abide by the rules of the Association. Members shall decide at the annual general meeting the fee for the ensuing year.
7. Control shall be vested in an executive committee.
8.The executive committee shall consist of up to fifteen members and the preceding years Honest Lad and Honest Lass ex officio.
9. Election to the executive committee shall be for a period of up to three years. On election the executive committee shall appoint office bearers as stated under “Office Bearers”. It may co-opt other members, who shall serve for the current year only. Five shall form a quorum. One third of the committee shall retire annually by rotation.
10. A ladies committee shall be convened to assist the executive committee at their various functions.
NOMINATION AND ELECTION OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS
11. Nominations for election to the executive committee shall be made on forms to be had from the secretary. Forms must be signed by two members and lodged with the secretary at least seven days prior to the annual general meeting. Unless otherwise demanded by the members at an annual general meeting, electing the executive committee shall take place at the meeting by ballot vote.
12. An honorary president may be appointed by the membership at the annual general meeting. The minister of the Parish Church of St Michael at Inveresk shall be honorary chaplain. Other office-bearers to be appointed annually shall be:
(i) A president who shall preside at all meetings. The president shall convene all meetings, but it shall be possible for five members of the executive committee to requisition a meeting of that committee.
(ii) A vice-president who shall act for the president as required;
(iii) A secretary who shall keep minutes of all meetings and conduct the business of the association, except finance, with such secretarial assistance as the executive committee may decide;
(iv) A treasurer, who shall attend to all financial matters and submit to the annual general meeting an audited statement which shall first have been submitted to the executive committee. Conveners of committees shall be appointed from the executive committee amongst themselves. Conveners may co-opt association members to assist them, subject to the approval of the executive committee.
13. Must be a bachelor, born in the communities of Musselburgh, Inveresk, Wallyford or Whitecraig. Or his parents must have been domiciled in one of these four communities at the time of his birth, or he must have been resident in these four communities for a period of twelve years. He must, at the time of his election: be a member of the Association, resident in the communities of Musselburgh, Inveresk, Wallyford or Whitecraig, have attained the age of 19 years and be of unblemished repute.
14. He will be kirked in Inveresk Parish Church on the Sunday at the commencement of the festival. Attendants and members of association committees to be present. Councillors and officials, representatives of other public bodies and members of local organisations to be invited to attend.
15. He will lay a wreath at the war memorial on behalf of the association immediately after the kirkin’ and after the service on Armistice Sunday.
16. He will attend such border festivals as the executive committee may decide.
17. His dress for official functions will be as specified in the Guide to Procedure for the Honest Lad. He to provide all necessary equipment.
18. He will carry out his duties with dignity and honour to our ancient burgh and will sign an undertaking to carry out his duties as delegated by the executive committee from his election.
19. He will serve on the executive committee for a period of one year from 1st October and act as chief attendant to the succeeding Honest Lad.
20. Before accepting office he will acquaint himself with the Rules and Guide to Procedure, thereafter being instructed by his predecessor as to his duties, especially as regards festival week. He shall not be eligible for re-election to this office.
21. Must be a spinster, born in the communities of Musselburgh, Inveresk, Wallyford or Whitecraig, or her parents must have been domiciled in one of these four communities at the time of her birth, or she must have been resident in these four communities for a period of twelve years. She must, at the time of her election, be a member of the association, resident in the communities of Musselburgh, Inveresk, Wallyford or Whitecraig, have attained the age of 18 years and be of unblemished repute.
22. Her duties will be governed by the rules applying to the Honest Lad insofar as they are appropriate to her. She shall act as chief attendant to her successor.
23. Her dress for official functions will be as specified in the Guide to Procedure for the Honest Lass. She to provide all necessary equipment.
HONEST LAD’S ATTENDANTS
24. Rules applying to them will be numbers 13, 14, 17, 18 and 20 (except the last sentence).
HONEST LASS’S ATTENDANTS
25. Rules applying to them will be numbers 14, 18, 20 (except the last sentence), 21 and 23.
ELECTION OF HONEST LAD AND HONEST LASS
26. A member may nominate or second one Lad candidate and one Lass candidate but no more.
27. Candidates must be nominated on the official nomination forms to be had from the secretary. These are to be returned to the secretary when completed, not later than twenty one days prior to the date fixed for the election.
28. Members of the executive committee and any immediate family members, specifically, spouse/partner, parent, child or sibling are debarred from nominating or seconding any candidate.
28.1 Any member of the executive committee having an immediate relative standing for the position of Honest Lad or Lass shall be required to step down from the committee for a period of thirty days prior to and including the election.
29. Nominations will be considered by the executive committee and, if approved, will be voted upon by members of the association.
30. Method of voting will be by secret ballot, and the election will be held on the last Friday in April annually. Only members over the age of twelve years will be allowed to vote. The executive committee will decide the location for all polling stations.
31. In the event of a tie between any two candidates, a draw will be made by the president and the first drawn will be the final choice.
32. The two unsuccessful Lad candidates and the two unsuccessful Lass candidates having the highest number of votes shall act as attendants.
33. In emergency the executive committee shall have power to fill or leave vacant the office of Honest Lad, Honest Lass or attendant.
34. The annual general meeting shall be held on a date in November to be fixed by the executive committee. Notice of the meeting shall be published in the local press at least twenty-eight days beforehand.
35. On a request signed by fifty members of the Association or five members of the executive committee the secretary shall, without delay, call a special general meeting for the transaction of such business as may be specified on the request. The notice calling such a meeting shall state the business to be discussed and no other business shall be taken. At all general meetings admission shall be by membership card. Twenty five shall form a quorum.
36. At all meetings the chairman shall have a casting vote if necessary. Voting at all times to be restricted to those of fifteen years and over.
37. The funds of the Association are to be used only for Association purposes. Cheques on Association funds may be drawn only on the signatures of the Treasurer and either the President or the Secretary.
38. The executive committee shall be empowered to vote a grant to the elected Honest Lad, Honest Lass and Attendants.
39. The executive committee may grant annually an honorarium to the President, Secretary and Treasurer.
40. The financial year shall end on 30th September and the members at the annual general meeting shall appoint a qualified auditor for the ensuing year.
41. The Association colours shall be royal blue and white.
42. Any trophy that may be presented to the Association for competitive purposes may be retained by the successful competitor until the first of May following.
43. Any person, persons or organisations receiving by presentation any symbol or trophy which is the property of the Association must accept complete responsibility for its safe custody and must return it in good condition by the first of May following.
44. It shall be entirely the responsibility of the executive committee to appoint the Chief Marshall and the appointment shall be made annually.
45. Honorary Life Membership shall be conferred at the discretion of the executive committee for outstanding services to the Association.
46. The regalia shall be the responsibility of the Honest Lads’ Association.
47. Any alteration to the constitution and rules shall be permitted only on the vote of two thirds of members present and voting at a general meeting or special general meeting. Details of proposed alterations must be given to the secretary at least fourteen days before the annual general meeting.
48. If, upon dissolution of the Association, there remains any property whatsoever after the satisfaction of all liabilities, it shall be distributed to charities to be determined by the members.